Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hummingbirds

Hello, Ethan... today I want to tell you about hummingbirds. They are incredible little birds. To fly they "beat" or flap their wings VERY fast... so fast that in flight their wings look like a blur and they make a "humming" sound hence their name. Hummingbirds are the only bird that can fly backwards. They can also hover in place like a helicopter. The "hummer" that I like the best is the Ruby Throated Hummingbird... here's a picture of one... see his red throat?:
This a neat video of some Hummingbirds in flight and feeding. They love nectar from flowers or you can put sugar water in a feeder for them. They are really fun to watch. While he was filming one of the little guys got in his house and he had to VERY carefully catch it and release it. That happened to me too when I lived at Wonder Cave... one got in the house when the door was open. I didn't know what to do because I certainly didn't want to hurt him or have him hurt himself trying to get out. I think I was able to catch him by throwing a very light sheer curtain over him. I then let him go on the porch... he was happy to be free!
I don't know how anyone can deny the existence of God based solely on Hummingbirds and the miracle that they are. The Lord must have had fun when He created those little guys!
I thought you might like to have some hummingbirds around your house so I sent you a Hummingbird feeder. Your Mommy or Daddy will have to help you put the sugar water in the feeder but you'll love watching them. Be on the lookout for a package.
I love you, Ethan,
Granddaddy
PS. Call me sometime, baby boy: 931-598-9160.

No comments:

Post a Comment